Work for Tsuru for Solidarity!
Tsuru for Solidarity
Tsuru for Solidarity (TFS) seeks a Communications Organizer who will support the mission of TFS through effective communications strategy specifically related to direct actions, advocacy, rapid response, and large in-person/remote events. This position is designed as a full time role, but we are open to negotiating with freelance consultants. A minimum of two years experience in a communications/campaign role is required. Familiarity with and understanding of Japanese American incarceration history, anti-racist movements, and immigration policy are preferred. The position can be located anywhere, with regular participation in virtual meetings during US hours. Some travel to direct actions, based on COVID-19 safety, is required.
Tsuru for Solidarity’s mission is to educate, advocate, and protest to close all detention sites; build solidarity with other communities of color that have experienced forced removal, detention, deportation, separation of families, and other forms of racial and state violence; coordinate intergenerational, cross-community healing circles addressing the trauma of our shared histories.
This position will be supervised by the Tsuru for Solidarity Staff Organizer and works closely with the existing TFS communications committee which focuses on overall communications strategy, cultural projects, digital media, art and merchandising. Strong communication and community building skills coupled with an ability to work both independently and collaboratively are a necessity. Any multilingual skills (Spanish, Creole, Japanese) are a plus. Women and gender non-conforming individuals, Black, Indigenous, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work alongside staff and volunteers to provide rapid response, communications, and campaign support. Support includes but is not limited to:
- Strategizing communications for direct actions, pilgrimages (in-person and virtual)
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with members of the press
- Creating and distributing press releases, digital petitions, social media toolkits, graphics
- Managing TFS bi-weekly Newsletter and creating messaging and post-event write-ups for distribution
- Managing and creating content for TFS social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube)
- Monitoring of TFS email accounts
- Collaborating with Communications Committee on special projects
- Represent Tsuru for Solidarity in coalition meetings and other events as needed.
- Additional duties as needed in support of TFS operations and campaigns
Full time salary for this position is between $70,000-75,000, commensurate with experience, as well as health insurance.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and any relevant work samples (optional) to firstname.lastname@example.org.